Note: To watch the video of this recipe ( click here —> Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe) and many more visit: youtube.com/garlicandonionsbyasmarehman
Ingredients: (To marinate chicken)
- Chicken: 1 1/2 kg
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tbsp
- Red chili powder: 1/2 tbsp
- Garlic: 1 small bulb ( crushed roughly)
- Ginger: 1/2 inch piece ( crushed roughly)
- Greek yogurt: 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
Mix all the above ingredients together and keep in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Now, Take
- Cooking oil: 1/2 cup ( you can increase or decrease the quantity of oil as per your choice)
- Onion: 3 small size ( sliced finely)
Heat cooking oil in a wok and fry the sliced onion to golden crisp. When onions are fried nicely bring them out and spread on kitchen towel or dish to cool down.
Ingredients/Spices to cook chicken: After marination of 2 hours let’s start cooking 🙂
- Star Anise: 1 flower
- Cinnamon stick: 1/2 inch piece
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tbsps
- Mace: 2 blades whole
- Black Peppercorns: 1/2 tsp
- Green Cardamom: 4
- Cloves: 7
- Bay leaf: 1
- Dried Plums: 3
Before cooking chicken Add half of the fried onions ( crush them roughly by hand) to the chicken and also add 3 dried plums, Mix altogether once again.
Step 1: Add all the above whole spices to the oil in which we fried onions and stir fry at high heat until aromatic.
Step 2: Add the marinated chicken and mix well. Let it cook on high heat until oil starts bubbling up at the top, keep stirring carefully occasionally. After that bring flame to medium and cook covered for 6-7 minutes.
Step 3: After 6-7 minutes, uncover; bring the flame to high and cook until all the oil comes up leaving the spices. Chicken is done.
Now it’s time to cook rice.
- Golden Sella rice (Parboiled rice): 700 gm ( soaked in water for 30 minutes).
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf: 1
- Cinnamon stick: 1
- Bullet green chili: 3 ( cut into large pieces)
- Salt: 1 1/2 Tbsp ( Taste water, if it’s salty then ok else add more )
- Boil 1 liter water in a sauce pan and add all the above spices and rice to the water.
- Cook rice until 50% done ( check by pressing the rice between index finger and thumb with little pressure, if it breaks into 2 pieces switch off the flame) and strain in a colander.
Last step ( Giving Dum to Biryani):
Step 1: Take a heavy bottom vessel and pour cooked chicken at the bottom.
Step 2: Spread Half of the boiled rice ( remove the bullet chilies from boiled rice ).
Step 3: Chop finely a bunch of green coriander and slice finely 1 inch ginger piece, mix together and add yellow food color to it. Spread this mixture over the first layer of rice and add 1 tbsp of green chili pickle to it .
Step 4: Spread the remaining rice and top it up with the fried onions. Also add in 2 capful of Kewra water. Cover the vessel and seal with the dough.
Step 5: Simmer at the lowest flame for 15-20 minutes.
Delicious Biryani is ready to serve :D. Enjoy it with Raita or salad